The NCH was established to support and enhance the work of the National Children’s Hospital in Tallaght for the treatment of children.
The NCH plays no role in the management of the National Children’s Hospital in Tallaght and, as such, receives no financial assistance or support from either the State or the HSE. Its main function is to raise funds to support and improve paediatric care at the National Children’s Hospital in Tallaght. This includes purchasing equipment, supporting research projects and improving facilities for the patients and their families. Over the past 10 years the NCH has provided in excess of €3 million by way of financial support to the National Children’s Hospital in Tallaght.
The NCH is governed by a Board, whose members operate in a voluntary capacity and do not receive any payment for their services. The fundraising activities are managed by one full time employee and one part time employee. The annual accounts are available from the Companies Registration Office and are audited annually by external auditors to ensure full transparency and accountability.
The National Children’s Hospital, founded in 1821, is the oldest Children’s Hospital in Ireland and second oldest in Europe.
In June 1998 The National Children’s Hospital moved from its site in Harcourt Street to its current home in Tallaght. Over 65,000 children visit The National Children’s Hospital, Tallaght every year and services at the hospital include:
- A Children’s A&E Department
- A Children’s X-Ray Department
- A Dedicated Children’s Theatre
- A Dedicated Children’s Outpatients Department
- Research into Paediatric Illnesses
- Paediatric Nursing Education
- A Dedicated Play Department & Primary School
The National Children’s Hospital (“NCH”) is a registered charity (CHY233) and a company limited by guarantee not having a share capital (registered in the Republic of Ireland; CRO No. 14275).